The bathroom is one of the most used rooms in your house. However, it can be one of the most dangerous as well for people with limited mobility. Read on as your local bathroom remodeling experts share six design tips to make your bathroom more accessible for people who have difficulty moving around.
1. Add Grab Handles in Your Bathroom. Installing a handle will provide much needed support for your family members that need assistance in getting in and out of the bathtub or the toilet. Also consider their height and make sure that they can reach it from a seated position.
2. Place Non-Skid Mats Near Your Shower, Toilet and Sinks. A wet mat is among the leading causes of bathroom accidents in the United States. Adding a non-skid mat along these slip-prone areas give your family members an added degree of safety from any mishaps.
3. Install a Raised Toilet Seat. Aside from adding grab handles near your toilet, having an elevated toilet seat decreases the effort needed to get on and off the toilet which reduces strain and risks of slipping.
4. Install a Lever-Handle Faucet. Keep in mind that this is not limited to your bathroom, but can also be applied to your next kitchen remodeling project. Adding a lever-handle faucet lets them operate the faucet with minimal effort compared to traditional ones.
5. Install a Step-In Shower. Having a step-in shower adds a whole new world of convenience since you don’t have to lift up your legs and risk any accidents. Just like its name implies, you can simply walk into the shower and take a bath. However, you still have to be mindful of your steps.
6. Have Proper Indoor Lighting. While this may be a no-brainer, it’s worth reiterating that because some bathrooms do not have adequate lighting. You need to have the right amount of indoor light for you to see any obstacles or water puddles you should avoid.
Do you need a new custom shower for your bathroom? Trust in the kitchen and bathroom experts here at Concept Bath! We’re the area’s top kitchen and bath remodelers who have catered to the Quad City area since 1994. We’re dedicated to creating the most beautiful and functional spaces your entire family will love! Contact us at (563) 344-9138 or fill out our contact form for a FREE estimate!